Tens of thousands of Quebecers without electricity after strong winds shake the Montreal region
MONTREAL – Tens of thousands of Quebecers woke up this morning in the dark after wind gusts of nearly 100 kilometers per hour downed power lines in the greater Montreal area.
According to Hydro-Québec, about 120,000 customers lost power at the height of the event on Friday evening, but service had been restored for 65% of them by early morning.
The most affected regions are the Laurentians with 13,686 outages, followed by the Outaouais region in western Quebec with more than 12,300.
The utility said this morning that about 100 teams were mobilized to restore power.
Environment Canada says strong southwesterly winds were reported at several stations in the south of the province on Friday evening, causing power outages and toppling utility poles.
He reported wind gusts of 107 kilometers per hour in Terrebonne, just north of Montreal, and 92 km/h in Montreal.
This report from The Canadian Press was first published on April 16, 2022.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION