Toronto fireworks seller scraps Canada Day plans, leaving city to scramble
The City of Toronto announces it is canceling a Canada Day fireworks display and postponing another after the vendor pulled out at the last minute.
The city says the vendor originally hired to stage the fireworks at three parks informed city staff on Thursday that it was not moving forward with production.
As a result, the city says the fireworks show at Milliken Park in northeast Toronto has been canceled.
City spokesman Brad Ross told CBC News that the city last used the vendor for the Victoria Day fireworks in Ashbridges Bay and that the vendor said last week that the city had not yet paid its bill for this posting.
“We do our best to pay our bills within 30 days, so we immediately wired him the money yesterday for these services – $31,000,” Ross said. Still, the seller chose not to go ahead with Canada Day plans, he added.
City attorneys are now involved and will seek resolution for what Ross called a “breach of contract.”
“The good thing is we were able to find another supplier that was committed,” Ross said, adding that staff worked all day and night Thursday to contact Ontario businesses. , Quebec, Manitoba and the United States in order to find a new supplier. .
The city has since found a new supplier for Ashbridges Bay Park tonight, he said. The same vendor will put on a fireworks show at Stan Wadlow Park in the east end of the city on Saturday night.
Fireworks at Mel Lastman Square and Downsview Park are also scheduled to take place tonight as planned.