Toronto SickKids deny claiming to transfer patients from intensive care to US hospitals

The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto says reports that it is moving intensive care patients to hospitals south of the border are false.

In a statement, SickKids said, “There is no validity to recent claims that children are being transferred from our intensive care units to hospitals in the United States.”

The statement comes after a social media post claiming that the hospital is transferring its patients to intensive care in Buffalo.

“While volumes in our PICU (pediatric intensive care unit) are extremely high, we continue to mobilize resources to meet the clinical needs of these very ill patients,” the hospital added.

SickKids has recently experienced a high volume of patients and longer than normal wait times for elective cases.

Dr. Jason Fischer, division chief of emergency medicine at SickKids, told CP24 last week that an overwhelming number of patients were currently going to hospital due to an increase in viral infections and a lack of primary caregivers.

Additionally, the hospital confirmed on Wednesday that all of its intensive care beds were filled over the Thanksgiving long weekend as it continues to experience staffing issues.

“In the event of urgent critical care needs, we have contingency plans in place to mobilize additional resources to meet those needs,” a spokesperson for SickKids told CTV News Toronto.

– with files from Kerrisa Wilson and Hannah Alberga

Comments are closed.