Woman set on fire in Toronto bus attack dies of her injuries | Canada

A Toronto woman who was set on fire last month on a public bus in connection with an alleged hate crime has died of her injuries, police say.

On June 17, a woman in her 20s on her way to her job as a caregiver was sitting on an idling bus in the city’s west end when she was assaulted by another passenger.

“The man then allegedly poured some kind of liquid substance or accelerant on this woman and then ignited this substance, causing a fire and burning the female victim,” Toronto police officer Alex Li told reporters.

As the attacker fled, transit workers and passengers rushed to help the woman, quickly putting out the fire. She was treated by fire crews and was sent to hospital in critical condition with second and third degree burns. Police at the time described his injuries as “life changing”.

The city’s mayor, John Tory, called the attack a “shocking criminal act” and said locals were praying for his recovery.

Police arrested Tenzin Norbu, 33, and charged him with attempted murder and assault with a weapon, common nuisance endangering the life and safety of the public and mischief over C$5,000 causing damage to the property.

Police called the attack “an isolated incident” and “random”, but after consulting with the hate crimes unit, said the “investigation is being treated as a suspected hate-motivated offence”.

In early July, the victim’s sister launched a crowdfunding page. She wrote that her sister suffered “full-thickness burns, is in critical condition and on life support.”

“My sister is a caregiver who has lived a life of service to others,” her sister Dawa wrote. “At this point, we really need all of your support on his long journey ahead.”

On July 5, police said the woman, who cannot be identified due to a publication ban, succumbed to her injuries and the case was transferred to the homicide department.

The brazen attack is the latest in a series of disturbing incidents on the city’s public transit system. In mid-April, a woman was pushed onto the tracks as a train approached. She was able to take refuge under the edge of the subway platform, but broke a rib.

A week earlier, Kartik Vasudev, a 21-year-old international student, was shot and killed outside a subway as he was on his way to his part-time job.

Also in April, a 30-year-old man was stabbed in the neck while waiting on a subway platform. Police called the incident an “unprovoked attack”.

In response to the wave of violent attacks, as well as an increase in muggings and robberies, the city’s transit commission increased the number of patrols at transit stations.

Comments are closed.