WVB: Braves Battle Past Saint Mary, 3-2
Women’s volleyball | Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 11:00 PM
OTTAWA, Kansas – The uOttawa women’s volleyball team went 3-0 in the KCAC game with a 3-2; 16-25, 25-21, 25-19, 25-27, 15-12; victory over the University of Saint Mary on Tuesday night at Wilson Field House.
How did it happen
- The Braves found themselves down 4-1 to start the first set. A kill by Alexa Boyle put OU at two points, 8-6. It would be all the more so as OU came closer in the opening set of the night as Saint Mary took the 25-16 victory.
- Ottawa came out on fire in the second set. A block from Randi Johnson and wins from Boyle and Ryleigh Burdick gave OU an 8-4 lead. USM did not fold and rallied to tie the set at 11-11. OU responded by scoring five consecutive runs, taking a 16-11 lead over an attacking error by USM. The Braves continued to strengthen their lead and after a victory by Johnson, led 23-13. Saint Mary rallied again, reducing the Braves’ lead to 23-21. Burdick’s kill gave the Braves the set point, 24-21, and an attacking error from Speyer gave OU the set, 25-21.
- With the third set tied at 6-6, Ottawa scored four straight runs to take a 10-6 lead over Saint Mary. A Burdick kill and an ace serving Darby Weidl took the OU’s lead to 12-8. Ottawa held the Spiers in check for the remainder of the set, taking the 25-19 victory.
- In the fourth set, the Braves took a 4-1 lead. The ace serving Laigen Phelan, a kill from Katelyn Elstun and a block from Johnson and Elstun took the Braves’ lead to 10-5. The Spiers rallied, tying the set at 14-14. The set went back and forth with OU tying the set at 25-25 on a kill by Ayona Tharps. USM however managed to score the next two points to win the set, 27-25.
- The Spiers took a 7-5 lead over the Braves in the fifth set. Two Speyer attack errors and a Boyle kill gave the Braves an 8-7 lead. USM tied the set on the next point, 8-8. Ottawa responded with kills from Burdick and Tharps to give the Braves an 11-8 lead. The Spiers scored the next two points, reducing the Braves’ lead to 11-10. A kill by Tharps increased Ottawa’s lead to 12-10. Saint Mary scored two straight points to tie the set at 12. The Braves responded by scoring the last three points of the set, taking the win 15-12.
Inside the box
Ottawa (6-6, 3-0) returns home on Wednesday October 6 against Avila University at Wilson Field House. Junior college starts at 5 p.m. and college follows at 7 p.m.